Exploiting Distant Reading

As time progresses and Tarlton text becomes more transparent to me doing works such as this becomes very enjoying. There are many trends that become very easy to identify with Voyant as a tool to help.  But there are a few problems associated with Tarlton Jests. I really enjoy the links tool in Voyant.

But some of the trends that is derived from Tarltons Jests is that dialect was  prominent when pertaining to Tarlton. It shows that Tarlton had close connection with many of the men in the city, court, and country. This shows that women were not valued or as highly ranked as men.

Links Tool

Links Tool

This is clear when looking into Voyant. As the cirrus has shown terms like “man, men, gentleman, and boy. But using bubbleliness shows that these words weren’t associated with the court or the Queen. The links tool on Voyant shows that the Queen did not have much of any connections to those words.

I am big on using the Links tool. I love how the visualization shows ties that any words searched have. It shows that words that you may never thought would have anything to do with each other are tied together in some way. It gives transcribers a way to expand upon a place, person, or thing and discover and give more detail to a single topic. Being able to see what Voyant had set as the first few links along Tarltons name really helped me see what was seen as most important to Tarlton. Also to see what was Tarltons conversation about most of the time. Then along side those words I’m able to look deeper into those individually and see what underlying connections might Tarlton have to these words.

One question that I would like to research topic I would like to look into is how to become a millionaire. I think using cirrus, links, and corpus summary would really help. They all would be great in assisting because they will show me what authors have in common in addressing this topic which will help have a few focus points. I will get a few different ideas or thoughts about things I would’ve never thought had any connection.